How to Access Font Alternates | Designs By Miss Mandee

How to Access Font Alternates

It’s Tutorial Thursday! Ok, that’s not a real thing, but it is Thursday, and I do have a new Illustrator tutorial to share with you. This one is for all you font-lovers, or would-be font lovers out there. Experimenting with beautiful fonts can be such a blast—especially if you’re a type enthusiast (which, if you enjoy graphic design, there’s a pretty good chance you are). Today I’ve got a quick, simple tutorial to show you how to access font alternates.

How to Access Font Alternates

Accessing font alternates may not be a particularly difficult tool to use, but, once you learn how to to it, it opens up a whole new world of possibilities! And, if you’re already obsessed with script fonts (a designer after my own heart), then you’re going to absolutely LOVE this. Get ready to take your type to the next level!

The main tools you will be using are:

Character

Window>Type>Character

Glyphs

Window>Type>Glyphs>Alternates for Current Selection

As much as I like free fonts, most fonts that include alternates do have a price tag. Luckily, there are awesome font bundles available on websites like Alien Valley or The Hungry JPEG that help you build your font collection without breaking the bank.

Now that you know how to access font alternates in Illustrator, I’m sure you’re itching to try it out. Have fun, and happy designing!

*I am linking up to these parties

This post contains affiliate links

8 Comments on How to Access Font Alternates

1. jefra
    March 17, 2016 at 9:05 am (3 years ago)

How do you find out when you’re purchasing a font whether it has alternate glyphs? I have fonts I’ve bought which have swashes as another font in the family, but this way is so much easier than trying to switch back and forth. Thanks for the tut!

March 17, 2016 at 4:04 pm (3 years ago)

Hi Jefra! Usually, when you are purchasing a font, they will list in the description that it includes a certain amount of alternates. If you’re not sure, you can always reach out to the font designer, and they can let you know. Thanks for watching my tutorial! 🙂

2. Renee
    March 19, 2016 at 7:33 am (3 years ago)

I’m always searching for new fonts and ways to use them. I’m pinning your post so I can refer back to it later. 🙂

March 21, 2016 at 8:28 am (3 years ago)

Yay, thanks Renee! Yes, I totally know what you mean. Playing with new fonts is so much fun!

3. Chris
    April 5, 2018 at 11:07 pm (6 months ago)

Hi, Mandee. Are this work in AI CS5?. I can’t find the Glyphs in my AI cs5 version.

April 6, 2018 at 8:36 am (6 months ago)

I’m using Creative Cloud in this tutorial, but I believe the capabilities are the same in previous version of Illustrator. You’ll just need to go to Window>Type>Glyphs in order to access the glyphs menu. 🙂

• Chris
        April 6, 2018 at 9:22 am (6 months ago)

Hi, Mandee. Ya. I found this feature in my AI. I watched some of your tutorials. Love it so much. Easy and informative. Thanks for putting effort to produce such a wonderful video. As a newbie to graphic design, your video really help me a lot!

April 9, 2018 at 8:55 am (6 months ago)

Awesome, glad you got it figured out. Thanks Chris! It makes me happy to hear that you’ve found my videos informative!! ^_^