Beauty and the Beast Paper Lantern - Designs By Miss Mandee

Beauty and the Beast Paper Lantern

I’ve been hard at work designing a new die cut for my Disney Paper Lanterns Series, and I’m so excited to unveil it to you today! If you’re as big a Disney fan as I am, then you are probably well aware of a certain movie trailer that came out last week. So, if you’re anxiously awaiting the new, live-action remake of this classic Disney film, I have a feeling you’re going to love today’s freebie. Feast your eyes on this one-of-a-kind, delicately designed, Beauty and the Beast paper lantern.

Beauty and the Beast Paper Lantern

Be sure to check out my other Disney paper lantern designs in this series!

I’m tellin’ you, these designs just keep getting more and more intricate! I thought I’d pretty much reached the limit in the details department with my last paper lantern design, but I think this new paper cut proves differently.

Beauty and the Beast Paper Lantern

Beauty and the Beast Paper Lantern

I’ve had a couple requests in the past to show how I put these lanterns together, so I thought I’d give you an overview of the process this time around.

What You Need

Beauty and the Beast Paper Lantern

How To Make

1. Use your cutting machine to cut out the card stock (be patient: this cut is quite intricate and takes roughly 15 minutes to complete. Maybe watch the Beauty and the Beast trailer a couple times while you wait). Cut a piece of vellum to fit across the four panels.

(Hint: I’ve included a pdf version of the file if you don’t have a cutting machine. You can print off the template and cut out the shapes with an X-acto knife, but it will be tedious.)

Beauty and the Beast Paper Lantern

2. Glue your vellum to the inside of the lantern.

Beauty and the Beast Paper Lantern

3. Fold each of the sides and tabs as shown.

(Hint: I like to use a bone folder for this. It’s not 100% necessary, but it will give you some really nice creases and make it easier to glue later on.)

Beauty and the Beast Paper Lantern

4. Glue the tabs on the inside of the lantern to connect all the sides and bottom.

Beauty and the Beast Paper Lantern

For tips on creating this delicate paper cut, see the FAQ section on my website.

I really just love how this all came together! I was worried that the stain glass-style rose panel wouldn’t turn out because there are so many fine lines, but my Cricut proved to be up for the challenge! Now I love that panel so much that I’ve been wondering if I should create another large-scale, stain glass, paper cut design to go along with it.

Beauty and the Beast Paper Lantern

And if you’re a fan of my lantern designs, don’t worry, there are definitely more to come! I just can’t stay away from the Disney theme.

I hope you enjoy my Beauty and the Beast paper lantern design! I had been wanting to do a Beauty and the Beast version for a while, but the decision was solidified when I asked my readers what design they would prefer I do next, and this was the clear winner. So, with that said, what Disney movie do you think I should feature in my next installment?

Beauty and the Beast Paper Lantern Beauty and the Beast Paper Lantern

*This post contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking through my links.

70 Comments on Beauty and the Beast Paper Lantern

1. Sue Kimmet
    November 21, 2016 at 8:12 am (1 year ago)

Beautiful, thank you for the gift.

November 21, 2016 at 9:10 am (1 year ago)

You are very welcome! I’m glad you like it. 🙂

2. Li Lian
    November 21, 2016 at 8:36 am (1 year ago)

This is great! Thank you so much for sharing Mandee.

November 21, 2016 at 9:10 am (1 year ago)

So glad you like it! ^_^

3. tamyamspam
    November 21, 2016 at 10:54 pm (1 year ago)

This is super awesome! And so are you!!!
    Thank you so much!!

November 22, 2016 at 1:02 pm (1 year ago)

Thank you so much!! ^_^

4. Momzy
    December 1, 2016 at 9:04 am (1 year ago)

Oh my goodness….It’s even more gorgeous than I could have imagined it! Thanks so much for making this one!

December 1, 2016 at 3:21 pm (1 year ago)

Aww, thank you so much! That is very kind of you to say. ^_^

5. Tiffany
    December 2, 2016 at 7:57 pm (1 year ago)

Thank you do much! You are amazing! My daughter’s 4th birthday party is coming up and I’m going to make these as center pieces! I’m in love!

December 5, 2016 at 8:41 am (1 year ago)

Oh yay! What beautiful and unique centerpieces she’ll have!! So glad you like them. ^_^

6. Lillian Maldonado
    December 6, 2016 at 3:23 pm (1 year ago)

Thanks for this lantern, my daughter is 36 years old and this is her favorite Disney movie, she has a full collection of it. She flipped when she saw this. If you can make one of Lady and the Tramp, it would be really appreciated, that’s mine and by the way you are really awesome

December 6, 2016 at 4:34 pm (1 year ago)

Your comment has made me smile Lillian, so thank you for that! ^_^ I’m so happy to hear that your daughter likes my Beauty and the Beast lantern design. I have a couple other Disney lanterns designs in the works, but I had never thought of doing one based on Lady and the Tramp before. I think that could be really fun!

7. gofrogs
    December 7, 2016 at 3:39 pm (1 year ago)

These lanterns are stunning! I have got to try them out. My daughter is turning six and wants a princess party. She will LOVE this. Any others to come before beginning of January? =) Cinderella? Snow White? Frozen? =0 these are amazing.

December 7, 2016 at 4:01 pm (1 year ago)

Thank you so much! I’m sure these will really make a beautiful addition to your daughter’s princess party! I am working on another one right now that I plan to release within a week or two, so be sure to stay tuned. ^_^

8. gofrogs
    December 7, 2016 at 4:01 pm (1 year ago)

One more thing..is the svg file ready to cut the same size you have or does it need to be resized larger/smaller once I bring it into circuit? This will be one of my first projects! I just got the machine as an early christmas present and your designs are amazing. Please do tell what size your paper lanterns are.

Thank you, Thank you.

December 8, 2016 at 8:36 am (1 year ago)

I use 8.5″x11″ card stock to make these lanterns, and the SVG file is already sized to fit those parameters. 🙂 If you do happen to use 12″x12″ paper or another size, you can scale it to fit, but it is already to go for 8.5″x11″ paper! Have fun using your awesome new toy!!

9. Heather
    December 22, 2016 at 4:04 pm (12 months ago)

Oh.My.Gosh. My Disney heart just went pitter-pat!! These are all stunning! Beauty and the Beast is my favorite Disney movie, followed by Stitch and Little Mermaid, then Tangled – so three of my top four are right here! I would love to put in a vote for Lilo and Stitch… Can not wait to borrow a Cricut or Silhouette from my neighbor and get cutting. Absolutely completely L°O°VE these!!!

December 22, 2016 at 4:13 pm (12 months ago)

Yay! That makes me so happy to hear. ^_^ I’m glad I could design something to bring you joy. Ooo, I’ve never thought of doing Lilo and Stitch before! Being from Hawaii originally, that would definitely be a fun one for me to do. Stay tuned!

10. BIBIANA GARCIA
    January 9, 2017 at 9:28 pm (11 months ago)

HELLO I WAS LOOKING AT YOUR BEAUTY AND THE BEAST PAPER BOXES AND SAW THAT YOU HAD USED THE CRICUT EXPLORE AIR TO CUT OUT THE BOXES. I HAVE MY EXPLORE AIR 2 AND IM UNABLE TO OPEN THE FILE WHEN CRYING TO CUT IT OUT. I WAS WONDERING IF THERE WAS A CERTAIN IN WHICH YOU OPENED THE FILE AND IF SO COULD YOU HELP ME OUT WITH CUTTING IT? THANK YOU VERY MUCH

January 10, 2017 at 9:07 am (11 months ago)

Hi Bibiana,

SVG files can be opened in a variety of programs, but, in order to do the cut with your Cricut, you will need to upload the file to Cricut Design Space.

Simply open Cricut Design Space, go to New Project>Upload Images>Upload Image>Browse, and locate the file on your computer. You can then insert the file into your canvas and cut it out with your machine.

Hope that helps!

Mandee

• BIBIANA GARCIA
        January 10, 2017 at 10:04 am (11 months ago)

Thanks for your answer, finally I was able to open the file and I started to cut but I don’t know what I’m doing wrong because the blade on my cricut is braking the paper while cutting

January 10, 2017 at 4:09 pm (11 months ago)

You’ll need to make sure you have the lightest cut setting possible for the type of paper you are using. I usually use “Light Cardstock+” with the paper I use. I have also heard that there is a “Intricate Cut” setting that might work better.

• Missy
            February 25, 2017 at 7:15 pm (10 months ago)

hi how do I find the light cardstock + setting I am using a cricut explore air thank you so much

February 25, 2017 at 10:15 pm (10 months ago)

Just turn the dial to the section between “cardstock” and “light cardstock.” 🙂

11. Nikki
    January 13, 2017 at 10:36 am (11 months ago)

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see a Cinderella Paper Lantern! Maybe include glass slipper, the mice, and pumpkin. Of course Cinderella and Prince Charming.

Beautiful Work!

January 13, 2017 at 12:26 pm (11 months ago)

Thanks for the suggestion Nikki! Cinderella in definitely on my short list for paper lantern designs, so keep an eye out. 😉

12. Sharon Simonson
    January 13, 2017 at 11:26 am (11 months ago)

I just made the Beauty and the Beast Lantern and absolutely adore it.
    Thank you for creating such lovely Lanterns! I’m looking forward to many more.
    I’ve suggested Sleeping Beauty to include Maleficent….that would be soooo AWESOME!!

January 13, 2017 at 12:25 pm (11 months ago)

Yay! That makes me happy to hear!! ^_^

Glad you enjoy my lantern designs Sharon! And thanks so much for your input. I definitely plan to make many more of these beauties throughout the year. 🙂

13. Jane Leaman
    January 16, 2017 at 8:01 am (11 months ago)

I just love love love this lantern. We are doing the play Beauty and the Beast at my school next week and I always fix something special for our drama teacher. I downloaded the file, it cut only part of it and them had an error message. Do you know what I could be doing wrong? I’m pretty new at all of this.
    Thank you so much!!!
    Jane

January 16, 2017 at 10:44 am (11 months ago)

Hi Jane,

Aww, thanks for the kind words! I’m happy to hear that you like my design, and I think this will make a spectacular gift for the drama teacher!!

I don’t know exactly what the glitch is, but I know I’ve had to reinstall Cricut Design Space in the past because of a similar error message. This help page also has some good tips:

Otherwise, I would contact Cricut support. Hope that helps!

Mandee

14. Tatiana
    January 18, 2017 at 8:34 am (11 months ago)

This is amazing! I love all of your Disney work! Thank you for sharing! Do you do requests? Mickey Mouse Club House would be awesome! Please contact me if there is any way to put in a personal order!

January 18, 2017 at 8:45 am (11 months ago)

Thank you Tatiana! I’m so happy that you like my designs—particularly my lanterns. ^_^ I have had multiple requests for different paper lantern themes. I actually put out a voting form a couple weeks ago for readers to give their input. I’ve already determined my next design based off of this poll, but you are more than welcome to fill it out and possibly help choose the design I do after this upcoming one!

15. Lee
    January 18, 2017 at 8:59 am (11 months ago)

Thank you SO MUCH!!! 😀

16. Brigitte
    January 22, 2017 at 8:30 am (11 months ago)

Très jolie réalisation. Merci pour le partage de ce fichier.
    Amitiés de France.

January 22, 2017 at 11:41 am (11 months ago)

You’re very welcome Brigitte! Glad you like it. 🙂

17. Franceska
    February 19, 2017 at 1:42 am (10 months ago)

Thank you so much for your designs. But I have a little problem, when my cricut gets to the last panel of the lantern it stops cutting and thinks that it is finished. Have you any suggestions why this is happening?

February 20, 2017 at 10:12 am (10 months ago)

Oh no! I can’t say for sure why that is happening. That’s only happened to me once before with a design, and it’s because my Cricut decided to disconnect from the Wifi midway through the cut. I’d suggest checking out the Cricut Help pages. This one in particular has some good suggestions:

If none of those things do the trick, maybe contact their customer care.

18. Lillian Doughty
    February 20, 2017 at 2:34 pm (10 months ago)

This is absolutely beautiful!

February 20, 2017 at 3:02 pm (10 months ago)

Thank you Lillian! ^_^

19. Tanya Buffington
    February 21, 2017 at 10:50 am (10 months ago)

Awesomely beautiful!!! You are fantastic!! Thank you so much!
    And on another note, could you think about, or consider or maybe do a Nightmare Before Christmas lantern,with Jack and Sally? I am a Halloween lover, and Id love to do some lanterns for Halloween to hang at our not so scary Halloween decorations!

February 25, 2017 at 1:18 pm (10 months ago)

Thank you Tanya!

Ooo, I actually hadn’t considered Nightmare Before Christmas—that could be really fun for Halloween time! I do have some other Disney lantern ideas for Halloween that I’m hoping to bring to life this year that I think you’ll like. 😀

20. Tracey Alexander
    February 24, 2017 at 2:01 pm (10 months ago)

These are amazing. Would love to make one. Do you have this in an svg or jpeg file, I have a Silhouette and the software wont open this type of file unless I upgrade to a designer edition. Thank you

• Tracey Alexander
      February 24, 2017 at 2:10 pm (10 months ago)

I just found a program that changed the file into a jpeg for me to be able to use 🙂

21. Shelly
    March 7, 2017 at 10:27 pm (9 months ago)

We are doing a B&B event at work for the premiere of the live action movie. I made the original lantern but we decided it was too small so I modified the design to fit the acrylic boxes that we have. They came out beautifully. I also used the rose design to make a faux stained glass that is absolutely gorgeous. I can’t wait to try some other Disney lanterns.

As for another theme, how about a Hunchback of Notre Dame?

March 8, 2017 at 11:42 am (9 months ago)

That’s awesome! Glad you were able to make my design work for you!! And thanks for the suggestions. Definitely stay tuned. 🙂

22. Eleonora
    March 10, 2017 at 10:26 am (9 months ago)

Hi, and thank you for this!
    I love it…going to see new release next week for my daughter’s party and would love to make these as centerpieces….I have a Cricut expression and work in the Craft room, I don’t see a way to upload the image. Can you help?
    Thank you!!!!!

March 10, 2017 at 11:41 am (9 months ago)

How fun! I can’t wait to see the new movie as well. ^_^

I use a Cricut Explore, so I’m not familiar with Cricut Craft Room, but I found this tutorial that might be helpful for you:

23. Andira
    March 11, 2017 at 3:08 am (9 months ago)

Hello Mandee…
    I can´t thank you enough for posting this!! Beauty and the Beast is my fav Disney Movie of all time!!
    You did a terrific job… wow!!!

March 11, 2017 at 3:24 pm (9 months ago)

Thank you Andria! I’m so glad you like it. 😀

24. Sue
    March 19, 2017 at 5:58 pm (9 months ago)

That is gorgeous. Just saw the movie and I’ll have to make one

25. debra l swatik
    March 25, 2017 at 11:04 pm (9 months ago)

can you use a tea light with these when finished? alot of lantern I am seeing have a light inside them.

March 26, 2017 at 8:47 pm (9 months ago)

Yes, you can definitely place tea lights in these!! They just need to be the battery powered kind (otherwise you risk them catching fire). I’ve gotten these LED ones in the past: they are a good deal, and flicker nicely. 🙂

26. Jackie Chapman
    March 29, 2017 at 1:36 pm (9 months ago)

Just found your site and I know I am going to enjoy looking around. Thank you for fabulous cutting files, I am looking forward to having a go. 🙂

March 29, 2017 at 10:15 pm (9 months ago)

Well thanks for stopping by Jackie! Have fun perusing my designs!! P.S. If you like this one, you should definitely check out the Alice in Wonderland paper lantern design I posted today. ^_^

27. Lidka
    June 8, 2017 at 11:00 am (6 months ago)

hi, can you please let me know how can i purchase the licence for commercial use.
    thank you!

• Lidka
        June 8, 2017 at 2:14 pm (6 months ago)

Hi Mandee, I just sent you email. Thank you!

28. Danielle
    July 5, 2017 at 10:02 pm (5 months ago)

I am so bummed. It won’t let me save the SVG. I have literally been trying for hours 🙁

July 13, 2017 at 9:13 am (5 months ago)

Hi Danielle! Sorry to hear that you are having trouble downloading the file. Be sure to check out my FAQ page for troubleshooting tips. If you still aren’t able to download the file, feel free to email me at mandee@designsbymissmandee.com with more detail on the problem, and I’ll see if I can hep. 🙂

29. Deb Romano
    July 18, 2017 at 8:00 pm (5 months ago)

Love it!!!! Love it!!!

30. Mary Jean Leahy
    August 7, 2017 at 2:33 pm (4 months ago)

I just LOVE this lantern. (and all of your other lanterns.) This is my first attempt, and so far, it’s looking good. I have one extra cut between the right window and Lumiere – I don’t see that on the pattern file. Do you know what that is or how I can take it out?

August 8, 2017 at 3:56 pm (4 months ago)

Hi Mary! Thank you! I’m glad to hear that you like my paper lantern designs. I just checked out the file. Every once in a while, a stray line/anchor point will hide itself in the design, and the paper cutting machine will pick it up. If that was the case with this design, though, I couldn’t see it. Sorry I couldn’t be more help!

31. Anja
    August 13, 2017 at 11:30 am (4 months ago)

This is awesome! My favorite Disney movie 🙂 Thanks for it!

32. Nadia
    September 2, 2017 at 2:03 pm (3 months ago)

beautiful! Is it possible to have them in the .studio version?

September 5, 2017 at 11:24 am (3 months ago)

Thanks Nadia! Unfortunately no, I don’t offer the .studio version of cut files, but you should be able to use the SVG if you have the Designer edition of Silhouette Studio. If not, here is a workaround another blogger has found if you don’t want to upgrade. Hope that helps!

33. sherry Hussong
    October 20, 2017 at 11:40 am (2 months ago)

Thank you so much!! I love all the latterns!!! In sure my granddaughters and nieces will love them too!! I have a Cricut air2 …hope I can get them to work for me!! ❤❤

October 23, 2017 at 12:36 pm (2 months ago)

Awesome! I’m sure your granddaughters will love them!! ^_^

34. Maria
    October 23, 2017 at 7:12 pm (2 months ago)

Hello! I absolutely LOVE this lantern!! I’m a big fan of Beauty and the Beast. It’s been my favorite movie since I was a kid. My dad actually bought my first Disney movie so it definitely brings a lot of good childhood memories! I was wondering if there was a way to get the template for it because I tried downloading the file but it didn’t let me. Is there any other way to get it? I’d appreciate it very, very much! Thanks!

• Maria
      October 23, 2017 at 9:05 pm (2 months ago)

Also, the reason it doesn’t let me download it is because once I click on it, a new window pops up and then the following message comes up “We’re sorry. You can’t access this item because it is in violation of our Terms of Service.” I’m super bummed! 😔😔😔

October 24, 2017 at 10:10 am (2 months ago)

Hi Maria,

Sorry that you are having trouble! Thanks for describing what the issue was. Yeah, Google Drive blocked this file a couple days ago (I am really upset about it). So, I had to re-upload it and provide a different link. Your browser cookies may not have updated yet, so here is the (new) correct link for the template: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8WXcinfu72UVThEclRrYUpEMWs/view?usp=sharing

Hope that works for you! Let me know if it doesn’t.

Mandee