Hello everyone! Today I’m excited to share a fun, simple craft that my parents taught me growing up. Follow these steps, and you’ll be on your way to making some super cute (and simple) finger knit yarn leis!
Fun fact: I was born in Hawaii (and I am part Hawaiian). Growing up, I use to make these whenever there was a special occasion like a graduation or missionary homecoming. They are super easy (and quick) to make. All you need are:
- Yarn (about 45 feet)
- And Scissors
Here’s how to make the finger knit yarn leis:
1. Take the end of the yarn, and place it in the palm of your hand (coming from the back of your hand to the front). Weave the yarn behind your index finger, and alternating with each finger. Once you get to your pinky, wrap the yarn around it, and weave it through the opposite way.
2. Wrap the yarn around all four fingers (going from the back of your hand to the front), positioning the yarn just above the loops on your fingers. Pull the loop on your index finger over the strand of yarn and behind your finger.
3. Repeat with all four fingers.
4. Continue to repeat steps 2 and 3 multiple times. The yarn will start to bunch up on the back of your hand. To see how long your lei is, take the end (the part that was in your palm) and pull it tight.
5. When you have reached your desired length, cut the yarn (leaving some to finish). Weave the finishing end through each loop (going from bottom to top each time.
6. Once you have done that, take the loops off your fingers, pull the finishing end tight, and tie it off.
Pretty simple right? I love this craft because it’s one that adults and kids can do together. And you can customize your creations by mixing yarn colors or adding some fun yarn textures.
Have fun making finger knit yarn leis for yourself and all your friends!