How to Use the Pattern Tool to Make Pretty Graphics | Designs By Miss Mandee

How to Use the Pattern Tool to Make Pretty Graphics

Hey you! So glad to have you here today. Hope you had a fantastic weekend. It’s officially Thanksgiving weekโ€”yay! I’m pretty pumped to take a couple days off work to be with my family, eat some yummy food, and go see the new Hunger Games movie. But, until then, I have an extra special blog post for all my graphics design friends out there. Today I’d like to show you how to use the pattern tool to make pretty graphics in Adobe Illustrator.

how to use the pattern tool to make pretty graphics

This tutorial came about when I was looking for a more efficient way to make pretty laurel wreaths and experimenting with method after method, until I came up with the version you will see in the video. As a graphic designer, I am all about efficiency! If something doesn’t have to be tedious, I am always determined to find a way to make it simple.

This is a special post, because it is my very first video tutorial! I’ve always shied away form doing video tutorials because when I know I’m being recorded I tend to become a nervous wreck; and even though this is just a screen-capture tutorial, I still had the sweaty palm thing going on up until I hit the record button (feel free to tease me if you’d like). So, hopefully my nervousness doesn’t get in the way of you learning a quick and simple way to make some beautiful designs.

What did you think? Not too bad for my first time…right? And I bet you’re already thinking of aย million and one ways you could use this trick in your next design.ย If you liked this tutorial and there is something else you’d like to learn how to do in Illustrator, leave a comment and let me know. I’d be more than happy to make more tutorial videos if you’d find them useful.

Happy designing!

*I am linking up to these parties

33 Comments on How to Use the Pattern Tool to Make Pretty Graphics

1. Natasha in Oz
    November 24, 2014 at 3:49 pm (4 years ago)

Great tutorial-well done! You sounded fabulous and your advice was excellent. Thanks so much for sharing this!

Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

November 24, 2014 at 6:07 pm (4 years ago)

Oh Natasha, you are too kind! ^_^

2. Alexandra
    November 26, 2014 at 4:46 pm (4 years ago)

Pinned to my Digitally Designing board! Thanks for sharing.

3. Lou Lou Girls
    November 30, 2014 at 4:29 pm (4 years ago)

Oh my! This is awesome! Pinned and tweeted. We always love partying with you, I hope to see you Monday at 7 pm at our party. Happy Sunday! Lou Lou Girls

December 1, 2014 at 4:16 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks so much for sharing! You rock!

4. Melanie
    November 30, 2014 at 6:50 pm (4 years ago)

What a great tutorial! Thanks for linking up with us at Motivational Monday!

5. Danielle
    December 1, 2014 at 11:20 am (4 years ago)

I love pretty graphics… Thanks for the tutorial! Also, thanks for linking up again with us at last week’s Motivational Monday party! Hope you’ll join us again this week!

Danielle
    SewMuchCrafting.com

December 1, 2014 at 4:19 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks Danielle! I’ll definitely be by. ๐Ÿ™‚

6. Mary
    December 5, 2014 at 11:35 am (4 years ago)

This is lovely! great tutorial!

December 5, 2014 at 4:54 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks Mary! ๐Ÿ™‚

7. Havalah
    December 9, 2014 at 8:41 pm (4 years ago)

great tutorial, I’d really just like to learn how to use Illustrator : ) for graphic design but have no idea where to began.

December 10, 2014 at 9:00 am (4 years ago)

Yeah, it is definitely overwhelming when you first start out!

8. Nadya
    December 29, 2014 at 7:11 am (4 years ago)

Thank you for the tutorial! What I love in Illustrator is that you can use the same tool in many ways to create different effects!

December 29, 2014 at 9:20 am (4 years ago)

You are very welcome Nadya! I totally agree: there are always new things to learn and different ways to use the tools.

9. Damla
    February 16, 2015 at 4:41 pm (4 years ago)

I just came across your website and i love it! You are so talented and tasteful. I was wondering can you film more videos like this? Because this is so useful to learn illustrator. I am trying to learn it and i stuck sometimes. Thank you !

February 16, 2015 at 4:56 pm (4 years ago)

Thank you so much Damla! I’m so glad that you found this useful. Yeah, I’ve been thinking about doing more videos like this, but I’m not sure what people want to know. I’ve been using Illustrator for so long I’ve kind of forgotten what things people might not know, haha. Do you have any suggestions? ๐Ÿ™‚

• Damla
        February 17, 2015 at 8:13 am (4 years ago)

Oh! You are so right. For example, how to draw flowers like this?https://www.designsbymissmandee.com/2014/12/open-business-creative-market/

or how to do watercolor effects? or maybe how to do glittery fonts? These are just random thoughts. I can say so many things ๐Ÿ˜€ I think i can learn a lot from you. By the way thank you for your respond. You are so kind.

10. Brittney
    March 10, 2015 at 1:45 pm (4 years ago)

Love this! Please do more!

March 10, 2015 at 1:59 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks Brittney! Glad to know you found it useful, I’ll definitely do more in the future. ๐Ÿ™‚

11. Jean Martin
    March 13, 2015 at 7:58 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks for the tutorial! It was very helpful! Would love a tutorial on how to make glitter texture/pattern.

March 14, 2015 at 9:52 pm (4 years ago)

You’re very welcome! You are in for a treat next week then, so stay tuned. ๐Ÿ˜‰

12. Andrea
    March 29, 2015 at 12:26 pm (4 years ago)

Mandee,
    I love, love, loved your post!!!! I’m new to Adobe Illustrator, and love what the program can do and the limitless creativity it allows.. Thank you for sharing your talent, sharing your creativity and wonderful tips.. I love what you’ve done! Any tutorials that you post, I will definitely watch!!! Thanks again!

March 30, 2015 at 4:39 pm (4 years ago)

That’s great to hear Andrea! You’ve just made my day. So glad you’ve found my tutorials useful!! ^_^

13. Zoraida
    June 16, 2015 at 11:33 pm (4 years ago)

Mande, thank you. I love graphics and regret not going to college for it! So it’s a hobby and I love learning more about illustrator program and its capabilities. But it can be overwhelming so you made it a very calming (your voice), easy to follow (your instructions), and not so scary to try …I am excited to try this…you are a good teacher! Glad you pushed yourself out of your comfort zone! Great job!!!

June 17, 2015 at 2:26 pm (4 years ago)

Zoraida, you have positively made my day!!! Thank you SO much for your kinds words. I still get so nervous about doing tutorials, but it makes me so happy to know that someone out there finds them useful. Thanks for the encouragement! ^_^

14. Amanda
    October 5, 2015 at 10:11 pm (3 years ago)

when you did the copy and paste in front and then the move and duplicate shortcut. What are the commands and what distance did you move the leaves?

October 6, 2015 at 8:48 am (3 years ago)

Hi Amanda! Here are the shortcuts:

Copy: โŒ˜C
      Past in Front: โŒ˜F
      Duplicate: โŒ˜D

And I just eyeballed how far apart I wanted the leaves. Hope that helps! ๐Ÿ™‚

15. Michelle Moreno
    October 25, 2015 at 3:01 am (3 years ago)

Hi I came across your tutorial and it was really informative and will definitely put it to good use. However I was trying to find a video to show how to remove certain parts of an image. For example, I like this flower pattern, but only one of the flowers, Iโ€™d like to remove the rest of it. Iโ€™m not sure since this post was awhile ago if yourโ€™e still accepting vid requests. Any info you can provide would be great!

October 26, 2015 at 9:36 am (3 years ago)

Hi Michelle! I’m glad my tutorial was useful for you. Thanks for the suggestion! I can definitely make a tutorial about that sometime soon. Be sure to either subscribe to my emails by filling out the form in the footer, or subscribing to my YouTube channel so you can get the update when I post it. ๐Ÿ™‚

16. Heidi
    November 11, 2015 at 11:05 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks for sharing! I’ve never known how to make a pattern brush! But I do think the title of this post is a bit misleading. I believe that the “pattern tool” is different from a “pattern brush.” The pattern tool was introduced in Illustrator CS6 and is a way to easily create repeating patterns. I think a more appropriate title would be “How to Create Custom Pattern Brushes.” But of course, just my opinion!

Another little tip – You can create dashed lines even MORE efficiently using the settings in Stroke panel. ๐Ÿ™‚

November 12, 2015 at 9:00 am (3 years ago)

You’re welcome Heidi! You are correct, the pattern tool is a technically different. When I did this tutorial, I only had CS5, and didn’t have access to the pattern tool.

Thanks for the tip about dashed lines! I’ve never paid any attention to the Stroke panel before, but you’re right, that is much easier. ๐Ÿ™‚

17. alina
    June 23, 2016 at 3:32 pm (3 years ago)

I just discovered your illustrator tutorials and I am so glad I did. Every single one of them is so useful and with quirky little details that really spice up any boring shape! I am so excited can’t describe you! xx

June 23, 2016 at 3:53 pm (3 years ago)

Alina, you rock! I’m so glad you like my tutorials!! I’m definitely no professional when it comes to making “How To” videos, but I’m happy that you like them for what they are. ^_^