This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. I wouldn’t recommend something that isn’t rad. #SnuggleUpMoments #CollectiveBias
A couple weeks ago, we got some big news—my sister is pregnant! She is so excited to be having her first baby, and I’m excited for Davian to get a cousin (his first on my side of the family)! My sister was always doting on me when I was pregnant—buying gifts for the baby, and surprising me with balloons when I was a week past my due date and depressed. Now, even though she’s not very far along, I’m anxious to make her something cute in return. So, if you or someone you know is expecting a little one, you’re going to love today’s tutorial! Download my template, follow the instructions, and make your own lovely DIY stamped swaddle blanket.
Ever since I got my Cricut, I’ve loved experimenting with it’s capabilities! I’ve been curious for a while now if it would be possible to make my own rubber stamps with it, and, after some research and experimentation, I’m excited to say that the answer it YES. And what better way to put my newfound stamp-making skill to use than by making some adorable swaddle blankets for my soon-to-be niece or nephew?
I’ve been pretty much obsessed with hot air balloons lately. I just think they are so adorable, and make great design motifs! So, naturally, when I was thinking of what might be cute for a baby blanket pattern, of course, my mind went straight to hot air balloons (I just can’t help it). Now, let’s learn how to make this thing, shall we?
What You Need
For the stamp:
- Plumber’s Rubber (1/16 in)
- Craft Foam
- My Templates
- A Cutting Machine
- A Deep-Cut Blade/Housing (for cutting machine)
- Hot Glue
- Wood or Chipboard (for mounting your stamp)
- A Nail File or Sandpaper
For the Blanket:
(You can find plumber’s rubber at your local hardware store. It’s fairly inexpensive: about $2.00 for a 6″ sheet. Also, see this helpful post to find out what inks work best on fabric.)
How to Make
1. Download my design files, and use your cutting machine to cut your hot air balloons and clouds out of the craft foam and rubber. Be sure to use a deep-cut blade for both the craft foam and rubber. If using Cricut Design Space, set your dial to Custom, and select Craft Foam from the list of materials when cutting the craft foam, and Leather Medium when cutting the rubber.
(Hint: if you have a strong grip mat, that would be ideal for cutting the rubber. If you only have a standard grip mat on hand, you can tape the edges of the rubber down with drafting tape to keep it in place.)
2. Adhere your foam to your stamp backing (this not only gives you more of a buffer between the stamp and the backing, but also gives your stamp a little more spring). After that, use hot glue to affix your rubber shapes on top of their craft foam counterparts.
3. Use sandpaper or a nail file to texture the surface of the rubber (this helps the stamp pick up more ink).
4. Now that your stamps are complete, use archival ink to stamp your swaddle blanket to your heart’s desire.
5. Use an iron to heat set your ink.
6. Finally, wash your blanket in cold water. Use Snuggle® Fabric Conditioner and Snuggle Scent Boosters® to make your blanket feel and smell as beautiful as it looks.
I seriously LOVE how this blanket turned out! And I know that my sister is going to love it too. There’s just nothing that competes when it comes to handmade gifts like this.
This was my first time using fabric conditioner and fabric softener, and I was blown away at the result! When the blanket was done in the washing machine, the whole laundry room smelled AMAZING! Once the blanket was done drying, I immediately took it to my husband and said, “You have to smell this.” He loved the smell and softness as much as I did, and we both wondered why we’d never used fabric conditioner and fabric softener before. Snuggle Scent Boosters® just come in little packets, and all you need to do for fabric softener is add a little bit to the agitator (if you have an good old-fashioned machine like mine that is). It really only takes like two seconds to make your clothes smell and feel incredible!
You can find Snuggle® Ultra Blue Sparkle fabric conditioner and blue iris bliss® Snuggle Scent Boosters® in the detergent section at your local Sam’s Club. Save on these products—check out your March Instant Savings Book. And if you’re a Snuggle® lover looking for more opportunities to interact with the brand, you can join the Snuggle Bear Den – it’s FREE! Complete missions, share your opinions, and be rewarded.
Enjoy the new designs, and have fun making your stamps! No matter how you end up using these hot air balloons and clouds, it’s sure to turn out spectacular. Have you ever tired fabric conditioners on your clothes before?
*This post contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking through my links.