How to Create Cut Files with Perforations | Designs By Miss Mandee

How to Create Cut Files with Perforations

It’s time again for another professional grade (don’t know if you could hear the sarcasm there) video tutorial by your’s truly! If you’ve ever wanted to create die cut designs that include pop-out sections or tear offs, then you’ll definitely want to check this one out. Learn how to create cut files with perforations using a few simple tools in Adobe Illustrator.

How to Create Cut Files with Perforations

The main tools you will be using:

The Rectangle & Ellipses Tools

Compound Path

Object>Compound Path>Make

Shortcut: ⌘8

Minus Front

Window>Pathfinder>Minus Front

Dashed Line Tool

Window>Stroke>Dashed Line

Outline Stroke

Object>Path>Outline Stroke

If you enjoyed this, be sure to check out the series I did on cut file design basics. I use a Cricut Maker to do my die cut designs, and I absolutely love it!

This tutorial has actually been requested multiple times by viewers, so I thought it would be a fun topic to hit. You could use this trick to make simple ticket stubs or pop-out pieces like I did in the video, but there’s plenty of other ways to implement this skill too! You could create posters with tear-off tabs, or even get super creative by making something like a paper doll/outfit set.

Enjoy learning how to create cut files with perforations! I hope you found the information useful, and are ready to give it a go for yourself. And let me know if there is anything you’ve been dying to learn how to do in Adobe Illustrator or Cricut Design Space!

*This post contains affiliate links. By clicking through my links to make a purchase, you are supporting this blog and the hard work that goes into providing free, quality designs and tutorials.

10 Comments on How to Create Cut Files with Perforations

1. Abi
    January 17, 2019 at 7:58 am (9 months ago)

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I can see myself putting this to good use with my Cricut designs. Your video is so easy to follow, it is a real asset! Keep making these videos and all the lovely cut files you do. They are greatly appreciated.

January 17, 2019 at 2:05 pm (9 months ago)

Aww, Abi, you’ve made my day—you’re so sweet! I’m so glad t hear that you find my videos helpful!! ^_^

2. Ann Merry
    January 17, 2019 at 8:09 am (9 months ago)

Thank you for the nice tutorial! I love using Illustrator. I own Version CS4 (quite old!)….but am going to subscribe to CC2019.

January 17, 2019 at 2:05 pm (9 months ago)

You’re so welcome! No worries—I used CS5 for quite a while too, haha. 😀

3. Totercs
    January 17, 2019 at 9:57 am (9 months ago)

Thank you so much for this great tutorial! I always learn a lot from your easy-to-follow tuts. This one helps me in desiging my own SVGs.

January 17, 2019 at 2:06 pm (9 months ago)

That’s really great to hear! Glad you were able to follow along. ^_^

4. Vanessa Ferrara
    January 17, 2019 at 12:10 pm (9 months ago)

This was awesome! Thank you!!

January 17, 2019 at 2:07 pm (9 months ago)

You’re very welcome Vanessa! Glad you found it useful. 😀

5. Rita Smith
    June 27, 2019 at 12:17 pm (4 months ago)

I tried your suggestions for making perforations, however the Cricut Maker did not show all the menu choices. I could not edit the score lines (didn’t have a choice for dashes). There is no choice for stroke tool or for path / outline stroke…
    It doesn’t look like I can perforate, only score, and only at preset length/thickness.

June 27, 2019 at 1:33 pm (4 months ago)

Hi Rita,

This is a tutorial I did in Adobe Illustrator. Illustrator is the program I use to create all of my designs before uploading them into Cricut Design Space. 🙂