Mulan Paper Lantern - Chinese New Year | Designs By Miss Mandee

Mulan Paper Lantern – Chinese New Year

Are you ready to welcome in the year of the pig? With Chinese New Year just around the corner, I’m excited to share an extra special installment in my Disney Paper Lanterns series. Use this Mulan paper lantern to light up the celebratory night in a unique and memorable way.

Mulan Paper Lantern

This paper lantern design has actually been in the works for almost a year now! Around April of last year, I was telling my husband about the concept I had for a Mulan paper lantern. I was really excited about it, and planned to feature it as the next design for my blog. That’s when he burst my bubble by making a great observation, “When is Chinese New Year? You should post it then.” Well, Chinese New Year happens to fall in either January or February. SO, I put it on my calendar and have been saving it ever since!

Mulan Paper Lantern

Now that my Mulan paper lantern has taken shape, I’m really proud of how it turned out! It took me a while to refine the concept, but I just kept coming back to the iconic movie cover. The duality of the story shown through Mulan’s face, is just perfect!

Mulan Paper Lantern

To learn how to assemble my paper lanterns, see this tutorial.

I use a Cricut Maker to do my die cut designs, and I absolutely love it! For tips on creating this delicate paper cut, see the FAQ section on my website.

Like most all my paper lanterns, removing the final design from your cutting mat is as much of an art as the cut itself, so be sure to go slowly around all those little details.

Mulan Paper Lantern

Enjoy putting my Mulan paper lantern together! Do you ever celebrate Chinese New Year?

Mulan Paper Lantern

**All Disney-inspired designs on this site are unofficial, fan creations and not associated with the Disney cooperation.

8 Comments on Mulan Paper Lantern – Chinese New Year

1. Rachel L.
    February 6, 2019 at 10:12 am (8 months ago)

Thank you! I’m loving all the lanterns. I just got my cricut maker in September and slowly figuring out all the powers that I have now==muuahahahaha! Also, I just got a scoring wheel so am now adding score lines to the lanterns, though it isn’t working too well on the vellum. Any suggestions? Maybe two runs? Looking forward to your next awesome creation!

February 6, 2019 at 2:20 pm (8 months ago)

Yay! Glad you’re experiencing the full-force of the Cricut Maker!! While I’ve added score lines to my own version of the lanterns, I’ve actually never tried scoring the vellum before—I’ll have to try that out! I just got a Cricut Maker in December and my scoring wheels arrived last week, but, unfortunately, they were broken. 🙁 Cricut is sending me new ones though, and I’ll have to do some testing soon and let you know how it goes!!

2. Ann B
    March 12, 2019 at 11:06 am (6 months ago)

I absolutely love your lanterns! I am so impressed with the detail. I am hoping you are planning to do one for Brave.

March 12, 2019 at 2:13 pm (6 months ago)

Aww, thank you Ann! And yes, Brave is definitely on my list. ^_^

3. daphne
    July 14, 2019 at 3:05 am (2 months ago)

how do I acess your designs please??

July 15, 2019 at 9:58 am (2 months ago)

Hi There! Simply click on the “Download” button just below the main image, and you will be taken to the files in Google Drive. From there, you can download them to your own device or save them to your personal Drive account. 🙂

For more information and screenshots, feel free to visit my FAQ page.

4. Evelyn
    July 30, 2019 at 3:38 am (2 months ago)

What size card stock you use for night before Christmas

July 30, 2019 at 8:08 am (2 months ago)

I use 8.5″x11″ card stock for all of my paper lantern designs. 🙂