Cue the organ music, because I’ve got a an extra special design that you’ll definitely want to take for a spin. Whether you’re looking for a unique, handmade art piece for a nursery, or just in the mood for a fun paper craft, you’ll love this intricate, die cut 3D carousel.
A few months ago, I was working on my Mary Poppins paper lantern design, and decided to incorporate a little carousel. I wanted to include so much more detail in that carousel design, but was limited because of size constraints. So, I decided to explore doing a carousel-themed project in the future.
Once I had decided to start on this project, I knew that a 2D rendering wasn’t going to cut it—this project demanded more intricacy than that. And that’s how this beauty came to be!
- 6″ Lollipop Sticks
- Hot Glue
- Bone Folder (optional)
- A Cutting Machine or X-ACTO knife
- My Free Template
How to Make
1. Use your cutting machine or X-ACTO knife, along with my template, to cut out all of the carousel pieces.
Note: I don’t usually include score lines in my SVG downloads, but I made an exception for this design because of the complexity of the overall piece. If you are using the SVG files that includes the score lines, don’t forget to set them as such in Cricut Design Space and attach them to their shapes before sending through your cutting machine. If you’re not using the SVG file that includes score lines, you can use the PDF version as a reference to know where your folds need to go.
2. Fold the base pieces and glue them together. Fold the center column pieces and glue them together as well.
3. Attach the center column to the base by inserting the tabs at the base of the column and gluing them to the base.
4. Fold the base of the top tent; fold the border pieces and affix them to the top tent base. Attach it to the center column.
5. Insert lollipop sticks into the top and bottom portions of the carousel. Use hot glue to hold them in place.
6. Glue the top tent sections together. Fold and attach to the top tent base.
Optional: Attach the flag to a shortened lollipop stick or toothpick. Insert it in the center of the tent and affix with hot glue.
7. Assemble the carousel horses. Attach them to the lollipop sticks.
Not that I’m not proud of all of the designs I share here on my site, but I’m extra proud of this one! There was a lot of wasted paper, late nights, and, admittedly, a few tears involved in getting this template to fit perfectly. So, when this finally came together, I was extremely excited!
I realize that this design is a little more complicated to piece together than most of the ones I provide on my site, so I’m hoping to create some tutorial videos in the near future in order to better show the set-up and assembly processes.
I use a Cricut Maker to do my die cut designs, and I absolutely love it! For tips on creating fun paper cuts like this one, see the FAQ section on my website. Also, be sure to check out the other awesome die cut freebies available on my blog!
I hope you enjoy this enchanting die cut 3D carousel! Would you be interested in seeing me feature more 3D projects like this in the future?
*This post contains affiliate links. By clicking through my links to make a purchase, you are supporting this blog and the hard work that goes into providing free, quality designs.