Die Cut 3D Carousel | Designs By Miss Mandee

Die Cut 3D Carousel

Cue the organ music, because I’ve got a an extra special design that you’ll definitely want to take for a spin. Whether you’re looking for a unique, handmade art piece for a nursery, or just in the mood for a fun paper craft, you’ll love this intricate, die cut 3D carousel.

Die Cut 3D Carousel

A few months ago, I was working on my Mary Poppins paper lantern design, and decided to incorporate a little carousel. I wanted to include so much more detail in that carousel design, but was limited because of size constraints. So, I decided to explore doing a carousel-themed project in the future.

Once I had decided to start on this project, I knew that a 2D rendering wasn’t going to cut it—this project demanded more intricacy than that. And that’s how this beauty came to be!

Supplies

How to Make

1. Use your cutting machine or X-ACTO knife, along with my template, to cut out all of the carousel pieces.

Note: I don’t usually include score lines in my SVG downloads, but I made an exception for this design because of the complexity of the overall piece. If you are using the SVG files that includes the score lines, don’t forget to set them as such in Cricut Design Space and attach them to their shapes before sending through your cutting machine. If you’re not using the SVG file that includes score lines, you can use the PDF version as a reference to know where your folds need to go.

Die Cut 3D Carousel

2. Fold the base pieces and glue them together. Fold the center column pieces and glue them together as well.

Die Cut 3D Carousel

3. Attach the center column to the base by inserting the tabs at the base of the column and gluing them to the base.

Die Cut 3D Carousel

4. Fold the base of the top tent; fold the border pieces and affix them to the top tent base. Attach it to the center column.

Die Cut 3D Carousel

5. Insert lollipop sticks into the top and bottom portions of the carousel. Use hot glue to hold them in place.

Die Cut 3D Carousel

6. Glue the top tent sections together. Fold and attach to the top tent base.

Optional: Attach the flag to a shortened lollipop stick or toothpick. Insert it in the center of the tent and affix with hot glue.

Die Cut 3D Carousel

7. Assemble the carousel horses. Attach them to the lollipop sticks.

Die Cut 3D Carousel

Not that I’m not proud of all of the designs I share here on my site, but I’m extra proud of this one! There was a lot of wasted paper, late nights, and, admittedly, a few tears involved in getting this template to fit perfectly. So, when this finally came together, I was extremely excited!

I realize that this design is a little more complicated to piece together than most of the ones I provide on my site, so I’m hoping to create some tutorial videos in the near future in order to better show the set-up and assembly processes.

Die Cut 3D Carousel Die Cut 3D Carousel

I use Adobe Illustrator for all of my designs, and a Cricut Maker to bring my creations to life. For tips on creating fun paper cuts like this one, see the FAQ section on my website. Also, be sure to check out the other awesome die cut freebies available on my blog!

I hope you enjoy this enchanting die cut 3D carousel! Would you be interested in seeing me feature more 3D projects like this in the future?

Die Cut 3D Carousel Die Cut 3D Carousel

39 Comments on Die Cut 3D Carousel

1. Christele CAMUS
    May 21, 2019 at 6:08 am (3 months ago)

magnifique !! oui cela serait super si tu pouvais publier de projet en 3D

May 21, 2019 at 9:06 am (3 months ago)

Thanks Christele! Glad to know you like it. I’ll definitely have to think up some new, 3D pieces for the future. 🙂

2. Catherine
    May 21, 2019 at 6:17 am (3 months ago)

I love it!! Thank you so much!!

May 21, 2019 at 9:06 am (3 months ago)

You’re welcome Catherine! I’m so glad you like it. 😀

3. Juanita Williams
    May 21, 2019 at 6:20 am (3 months ago)

Love this. It would be great to have more 3d projects. Thank you so very much for all that you share.

May 21, 2019 at 9:07 am (3 months ago)

Thank you Juanita! That’s good to know—I’ll be sure to think up some new, 3D projects for the future! 😀

May 21, 2019 at 6:21 am (3 months ago)

Mandee,

Thank you so much for the adorable project, and yes, more 3d projects in the future (3d projects are my weakness). Your carousel is over the top in cuteness! I can’t imagine how much work you did to create the project.

The carousel immediately transported me back to my childhood when my family would go to Liberty Park in Salt Lake City during the summer and I would be able to ride on the carousel. Whoa, that was a long time ago, is the carousel still there?

A friend will be visiting soon and she may want to make one of your carousels for her granddaughters. She doesn’t have a cutting machine or use anything from the internet (we are old). When she comes for a visit I try to have some cute projects ready for her. This year we will build paper fairy houses. If we have time maybe we can make your carousel too.

Thank you again!

May 21, 2019 at 9:15 am (3 months ago)

Thank you for your wonderful comment Kathy! This really was a tricky project for me, but I’m immensely pleased with the result! Being a Northern Utah resident myself, you made me curious about the Liberty Park carousel. I looked it up, and according to an article in Deseret News, there was a carousel there in 1984. It doesn’t say when it was removed, though. I’d be interesting to know what happened to it.

Have fun visiting with your friend! It’s always great to spend time doing creative projects in good company!!

5. Barbara Pritchard
    May 21, 2019 at 6:41 am (3 months ago)

Thank you so much for your generosity. You are a remarkable person to share the beautiful things you make, and this carousel is no exception.

May 21, 2019 at 9:15 am (3 months ago)

Aww, thank you Barbara! You are too kind. ^_^

6. Tracey
    May 21, 2019 at 7:03 am (3 months ago)

Thanks for all your hard work and lovely designs! Love this carousel!!

May 21, 2019 at 9:16 am (3 months ago)

Thank you Tracey! I’m so glad you like it!! 😀

7. Priscila
    May 21, 2019 at 7:23 am (3 months ago)

Realmente amo tus diseños!!!, que lindo carrusel, su acabado es tan delicado :3

May 21, 2019 at 9:17 am (3 months ago)

Thank you Priscila! I’m glad you enjoy my work. Thanks for taking the time to say so. 🙂

8. Susy
    May 21, 2019 at 7:45 am (3 months ago)

Wow, thank you so much for this. It looks amazing!

May 21, 2019 at 9:18 am (3 months ago)

You’re very welcome Susy! I’m glad to know that you like it!!

9. Charlotte Silber
    May 21, 2019 at 8:41 am (3 months ago)

Thank you. This is so cute and a great table center piece.

May 21, 2019 at 9:19 am (3 months ago)

Thank you Charlotte! It would definitely make for a great talking piece when people visit!! 🙂

10. Melanie Lashua
    May 21, 2019 at 10:50 am (3 months ago)

Yeah! Thank you so much, this is so beautiful!!!

May 21, 2019 at 11:31 am (3 months ago)

You’re welcome Melanie! I’m glad you like it. ^_^

11. Dee
    May 21, 2019 at 1:23 pm (3 months ago)

Oh my GOSH!!! Thank you so much. I love carousels and have been a collector of carousel items for many, many years. I LOVE THIS.

May 21, 2019 at 1:25 pm (3 months ago)

Wow! What an awesome coincidence!! Well, I’m sure this one will look lovely as part of your collection. ^_^

12. steffie chu
    May 21, 2019 at 7:39 pm (3 months ago)

Phenomenal Mandee. Is there anything you can’t design!! Absolutely LUV LUV LUV it. I’m going to make it for a baby gift. BTW, congratulations on your upcoming new family addition. I don’t know how you do it with 2 young boys and a 3rd child on its way and still designing for us. We’re so very fortunate and lucky!!! Get your rest in there, too! Thanks so much for all your wonderful designs and your continued generosity and kindness in freely sharing them with us.

May 22, 2019 at 7:15 am (3 months ago)

Aww, Steffie, you are too kind! And thanks for the congratulatory note—we are super excited to be growing our family!! I’m so glad you enjoy my designs—I worked especially hard on this one, and I’m happy that it shows. Have fun making this carousel for a baby gift—what a fun idea! 😀

13. Hope Donald
    May 23, 2019 at 5:29 pm (3 months ago)

Congratulations on your upcoming new arrival. I wish you the best. I want to thank you for designing this beautiful carousel, and I cannot wait to cut it out. The pdf was very helpful with score line placement.

May 24, 2019 at 8:13 am (3 months ago)

Thank you Hope!! We are really excited. ^_^

I’m glad you like my carousel design and that the pdf was helpful too!!

14. Flo Arnold
    June 8, 2019 at 8:53 am (2 months ago)

I am having a hard time assembling. Where in the cut file is the gold base? what do I use for the top base? Giving up for awhile

15. Flo Arnold
    June 8, 2019 at 5:46 pm (2 months ago)

Hi, I found my answer looking at the PDF file for the names of the cuts. Thank you

June 10, 2019 at 1:07 pm (2 months ago)

Glad you were able to get it figured out! I know, it’s a lot of little steps. Hopefully I have some time to make a tutorial video in the future to better explain the assembly process.

16. Caro
    June 8, 2019 at 11:12 pm (2 months ago)

OMG I love this!!! I have an upcoming French Party for my dog and this is perfect!!!
    One question though… on step #4, how do I attach the border to the center column?

June 10, 2019 at 1:11 pm (2 months ago)

How fun! Glad you can make use of this design. ^_^

As for step #4: you’ll want to glue the border pieces together first, then assemble the “top base,” then glue the border around the edge. After that, you can attach the “top base” to the center column using the slits and column tabs. I probably should have broken that part out into more steps—my apologies!

• Susanne McCown
        July 9, 2019 at 12:36 pm (1 month ago)

I love the carousel it went together beautifully. The SVG only has column tabs on one end though making it a little confusing. In your picture above it has tabs both ends. I ended up cutting the tabs on other end by hand.

July 9, 2019 at 4:06 pm (1 month ago)

Yay! I’m glad to hear that you were able to utilize my design to create your own, special carousel!!

At first I only had the tabs on one side of the center column, but I went back and altered the file later on. Maybe you downloaded it before I changed it—I’m sorry! The files should be fixed now. ^_^

17. Margaret Ball
    June 17, 2019 at 3:32 pm (2 months ago)

Hi Miss Mandee!
    I love your carosuel! I’ve downloaded it, but it will not upload into Cricut Design Space. I’ve used several of your files before without any difficulties. I’ve even tried saving it in Inkscape and then tried to upload to CDS, but I got the same error message “You have selected an unsupported file type.” Can you suggest how I might be able to get around this or know what is causing it?
    Margaret

June 19, 2019 at 8:43 am (2 months ago)

Hi Margaret! I’m sorry that you are having trouble. Have you tried both the file that includes score lines and the one without? Do you get the same error with both?

18. Karin
    July 7, 2019 at 12:56 pm (1 month ago)

It is so cute , i have to make this one , omg what a work this was for you to create but what a good job you did , greatings from Karin ( the Netherlands

July 8, 2019 at 10:43 am (1 month ago)

Aww, thank you Karin! I’m so glad you like it. This was definitely a big project for me, but I’m happy to share the results. Have fun putting it together!!

19. Vanessa L
    July 7, 2019 at 12:58 pm (1 month ago)

Adorable! Thank you for sharing!

July 8, 2019 at 10:43 am (1 month ago)

You’re welcome Vanessa! Glad you like it. ^_^