Moroccan Paper Lanterns – Ramadan Cut Files

The holy month of Ramadan has just begun! Today, I am excited to share a lovely new design, inspired by this celebration. Use my latest templates to create your own Moroccan paper lanterns.

Moroccan Paper Lanterns

Last week, I had a follower reach out, asking if I would create something celebrating Ramadan. She suggested Moroccan lanterns, and I absolutely loved the idea!

I wanted to design lanterns that could either hang or be freestanding. So many different ideas popped into my head; but, being short on time, I had to narrow it down to two designs. If you like them, though, I would love to do more of these in the future!

Moroccan Paper Lanterns Moroccan Paper Lanterns

Supplies

How to Make It

1. Use your cutting machine or X-ACTO knife, along with my template, to cut out all of the Moroccan paper lantern pieces.

Note: If you are using the SVG files that includes the score lines, don’t forget to set them as such in Cricut Design Space and attach them to their shapes before sending through your cutting machine. I used a lime green color to mark the score lines, so hopefully that helps! If you’re having trouble with the score lines, check out this video.

Assembling the Square Lantern

2. Start by gluing your vellum liners to the inside of the lantern sides.

Once the liners are in place, fold along the score marks provided, and glue the side tabs to the inside edges. Fold in the little tabs at the top, and glue them each (a couple at a time) inside the edge of the top piece adjacent.

Then, fold up the tabs on the bottom piece, and glue it to the inside of the lantern, just above the feet.

Assembling the Tall Lantern

3. Start by gluing your vellum liners to the inside of the lantern sides.

Note: I altered this design from a hexagon to a pentagon after the first picture was taken, so there will only be five sides to line.

Once the liners are in place, fold along the score marks provided, and glue the side tabs to the inside edges. fold in the little tabs at the top, and glue them each (a couple at a time) inside the edge of the top piece adjacent.

Then, assemble the base by folding along the score lines and glueing the tabs to the inside of each edge.

Insert the bottom tabs of the lantern into the slits provided, and glue them down.

Finishing Touches

4. Make your lanterns extra fancy by adding a handle (a piece of rope/ribbon) and some gems for bling!

Like I said before, these were so fun to design! All the little patterns and details really came together, and I’m quite pleased with the results.

The closest I’ve been to Morocco is the pavilion at Epcot (my favorite pavilion, by the way), but it’s on my bucket list of places I want to visit! Seeing the beautiful architecture, the vibrant landscape, and the unique art is something I think would be really incredible.

Moroccan Paper Lanterns

I use Adobe Illustrator for all of my designs, and a Cricut Maker to bring my creations to life. For tips on creating fun paper cuts like this one, see the FAQ section on my website. Also, be sure to check out the other 3D freebies available on my blog!

Enjoy making your very own, Moroccan paper lanterns! I hope you have as much fun putting them together as I did. Be sure to share your stunning results with me on Instagram!

Moroccan Paper Lanterns Moroccan Paper Lanterns

20 Comments on Moroccan Paper Lanterns – Ramadan Cut Files

1. Noreen
    April 14, 2021 at 6:23 am (1 month ago)

Hey there, I just wanted to take a moment to say thank you. The Moroccan Lanterns are beautiful. You are the ONLY craft blogger that has acknowledged the holy month of Ramadan or anything connected with the Muslim faith.

April 14, 2021 at 12:33 pm (1 month ago)

It’s my pleasure! These were really fun to make, and I definitely want to make more Ramadan crafts in the future!! ❤️

• Noreen
        April 14, 2021 at 12:39 pm (1 month ago)

2. Meriel Henson
    April 14, 2021 at 9:07 am (1 month ago)

your work is amazing, I love your projects, Thank you

April 14, 2021 at 12:34 pm (1 month ago)

Aww, thank you so much Meriel!!

3. Dee
    April 14, 2021 at 11:25 am (1 month ago)

Mandee, you make such beautiful projects. I so enjoy each and look forward to trying my hand at them. Much appreciated. Dee

4. Ali van den Berge
    April 14, 2021 at 12:35 pm (1 month ago)

What a beautifull set of lanterns you made.Thank you so much.

5. auntie em
    April 15, 2021 at 4:52 am (1 month ago)

Oh my goodness! These are beautiful!!! You put such care into your designs.
    Thank you for sharing!

6. Shaista
    April 15, 2021 at 12:10 pm (1 month ago)

Thank you for these beautiful designs like always!! You are so talented!! Stay blessed !! Would love to see more designs related to muslim faith please !! A layered cresent moon and a star welded together would be great !!

April 15, 2021 at 2:36 pm (1 month ago)

I’m so glad you like them Shaista! Thank you for the suggestion. I definitely want to create more designs for my Muslim friends!!

7. Kelly S
    April 16, 2021 at 11:12 am (4 weeks ago)

These are so pretty and then the added bling!!! Your designs are amazing and you are so kind to share your talent. Thank you for giving links to tools you use. Could you please tell me what glue you like to use?

April 16, 2021 at 12:25 pm (4 weeks ago)

Thanks Kelly! I’m so glad you like them!!

I mostly use hot glue for my projects (along with a fine tip glue gun). 😊

April 18, 2021 at 12:01 pm (4 weeks ago)

Your lanterns are spectacular, thank you so much for creating these treasures and showing us how to make them.

9. Maria
    April 19, 2021 at 8:57 pm (4 weeks ago)

Hi , you are my favorite craft blogger I love your work its amazing , and I also wanna say thank you for creating something for Muslim holy month thank you for thinking of us, I am definitely gonna make these, I had been looking for something like this for our holy moth.

April 20, 2021 at 11:14 am (4 weeks ago)

Aww, thank you Maria! You are too sweet. I am so glad you like my lantern designs, and I definitely plan to do more Ramadan crafts in the coming years!! ❤️

10. Mina
    April 20, 2021 at 10:45 pm (4 weeks ago)

Omg Mandee, bless you and your heart! I’ve been looking everywhere for decoration for Ramadan and I finally stumbled across this. I’ve been looking for days. Thank you sooooo mcuh! I had made the Rapunzel lantern for my sister’s birthday few years back and she loved it. You are so very talented. Thank you so much again!

April 21, 2021 at 12:21 pm (3 weeks ago)

I’m so glad these will work for your purposes!! And I’m happy to hear that you are putting my projects to good use. 😊

11. Jamila
    May 4, 2021 at 11:29 am (2 weeks ago)

Hi Mandee,

Thank you so much for creating these beautiful lanterns. I would love to try out this project for my eid decor. I am trying to download the file however when I click on the file it is not downloading. Would you be able to assist me with that. I would really appreciate your help.

Thank you!

May 4, 2021 at 11:42 am (2 weeks ago)

Hi Jamila! Sorry you are having trouble with the download. I suggest checking out my FAQ page for detailed downloading instructions and troubleshooting tips. 🙂

• Jamila Abbasi
        May 5, 2021 at 2:05 pm (1 week ago)

Hi, I got it! Thank you so much!