Sandcastle Paper Lantern

Let’s go to the beach! But, instead of diving into the ocean, today we are going to have some fun on the shore. Bring your beach toys, and make yourself a sandcastle paper lantern or two!

Sandcastle Paper Lantern

Like this design? Consider leaving a tip.

This lovely design was picked by my wonderful patrons! Each month, my Patreon subscribers help me choose a couple of the projects I create, and this design was one of the top picks for July.

If you enjoy my work, and would like to help choose future projects/freebies, consider becoming a patron of Designs By Miss Mandee!

Whether you live next to the ocean or the lake, making sandcastles on the beach is a classic summer activity! There’s just something so fun about building a castle wall, digging a moat, and feeling the sand run through your fingers.

Sandcastle Paper Lantern

Usually, I simply delve into my paper stash when I start to put my projects together, but I knew these sandcastles just wouldn’t look quite right without the, you know, sand. So, I headed to my local craft store, and found just the right paper for the job!

Sandcastle Paper Lantern

Sandcastle Paper Lantern

Playing on the beach and making sandcastles are some of the most beloved activities for my kiddos—especially my daughter! When we went to the beach in Oregon last month, she was so excited about the sand that she laid right down on her stomach and immediately started digging. She didn’t seem to mind the whole “getting sand in your clothes” thing. The trick was trying to keep her from eating the sand…which we weren’t always successful at.

Sandcastle Paper Lantern

I use Adobe Illustrator for all of my designs, and a Cricut Maker to bring my creations to life. For tips on creating fun paper cuts like this one, see the FAQ section on my website. Also, be sure to check out the other summer freebies available on my blog!

Enjoy putting this sandcastle paper lantern to good use. And don’t forget to share your cute, finished creations with me on Instagram!

Sandcastle Paper Lantern

13 Comments on Sandcastle Paper Lantern

1. Anne Richards
    July 27, 2021 at 8:02 am (2 months ago)

I love the sand castlew, how can I get the directions?
    Thank you.
    Anne

July 27, 2021 at 11:12 am (2 months ago)

Thank you so much for the adorable luminary. I think this would be great cut from black card stock as a haunted castle for Halloween. Your design is super cute and great for summer and fall. By the way, my daughter used to eat my home made play dough. Your daughter eating the sand reminded me of that. It is the salt that they are attracted to.

July 27, 2021 at 5:16 pm (2 months ago)

Ooo, this would definitely work for Halloween too! Haha, I’m glad my daughter isn’t the only one who is trying to get more salt in her diet.😂

3. Monalisa
    July 27, 2021 at 5:35 pm (2 months ago)

So cute and versatile! Love the comment about using this design with black for Halloween. How did you get the “sand” effect on the cardstock?

July 28, 2021 at 12:30 pm (2 months ago)

Thank you! I just bought some cardstock that had a sand texture printed on it. 😊

• Monalisa
        July 28, 2021 at 8:28 pm (2 months ago)

Thank you! It actually looks like it has real sand on it! 🙂

4. M
    July 27, 2021 at 8:18 pm (2 months ago)

I love your sandcastle luminary, can you please share with me the paper you used. It definitely makes the design

5. Pam Garrett
    July 28, 2021 at 12:18 am (2 months ago)

I know this will ruin our cutting blades, but what is a paper sand-castle without sand-paper? 🙂 I can guess you either used adhesive paper or sprayed adhesive on the finished castle and dusted it with sand. I can also guess that one might mix some spices with salt or sugar to use as sand, and save a trip to the hobby store. Imagine your sand castle smelling like cinnamon and cloves!

July 28, 2021 at 12:32 pm (2 months ago)

That would be so cool! I actually just cheated and used a printed sand design, but I love your idea even more!!

6. Maryanne Graham
    September 13, 2021 at 10:36 pm (7 days ago)

Wow thats printed paper, I keep looking at the photos and really looks like sand, very clever. Bet I can’t find that paper downunder.

September 14, 2021 at 11:27 am (6 days ago)

It’s a good trick! Sorry you don’t have any available to you where you live. Using strong glue (like jewelry glue) on brown paper would probably work if you wanted to use real sand.