3D Double-Decker Bus – Intricate Cut File

Today, I am very pleased to share a fun new project for all my anglophile friends and ambitious paper crafters! There’s room for all of us, so let’s take a ride in my brand new, 3D double-decker bus.

3D Double Decker Bus

Like this design? Consider leaving a tip to show your support.

I am really happy with how this project came out! I’ve been watching a British television show lately, and I thought it would be fun to make a papercraft representative of The United Kingdom. Now I just need a little red phonebooth to go with it!

3D Double-Decker Bus

Follow along using the instructions below, or check out this tutorial video.

Supplies

How to Make It

1. Use your cutting machine or X-ACTO knife, along with my template, to cut out all of the 3D double-decker bus pieces.

Note: If you are using the SVG files that includes the score lines, don’t forget to set them as such in Cricut Design Space and attach them to their shapes before sending them through your cutting machine. I used a lime green color to mark the score lines, so hopefully that helps! If you’re having trouble with the score lines, check out this video.

Prepping the Main Pieces

2. Start by attaching all the windows to the inside of the bus walls using hot glue. Attach the stripe details to the outside.

You may also assemble the wheels, bumpers, grill, and flags at this point. For the flags, just glue the white pieces onto the blue backings and use a red marker for the finer details.

Assembling the Seats and Stairs

3. Assemble all of the chair pieces by folding along the score lines and attaching the tab on the back legs to the underside of the seat.

For the stairs, fold all of the side tabs inward and the long sections into a fan pattern. Attach each tab to the corresponding place on the side stair piece. With the last light grey piece, fold along the score lines, and attach the steering wheel to the front like so.

With all of those pieces ready to go, attach everything to the two floor pieces using the slits provided. Note that the top floor has a notch in the back. The bottom floor includes an empty section at the front right, and a place for both the dashboard and the staircase.

Assembling Main Frame

4. Start by assembling the little window section for the front of the bus and attaching it to the bottom floor and the corresponding sidewall. Attach that sidewall to the bottom floor by gluing the long tab provided to the inside.

Next, glue in the second floor by attaching one tab to the sidewall and adhering the top tabs of the front window section and the stairs. I’ve also included a little, red square piece you can attach to the underside of the top floor where it peaks out over the indented front section. This is just to cover the tabs in that one area since it will be more visible than the rest of the floor.

With both floors in place, attach the front/top piece one tab at a time. Be especially mindful around the curved edge.

After that, attach the back piece in much the same way—working the rest of the way around the edge of the bus.

Final Assembly

5. With everything else in place, you can attach the other side of the bus without too much trouble—gluing each of the tabs in place around the perimeter.

Next, assemble the two little base boxes by folding along the score lines and gluing the tabs inside. These are just going to add stability and take the pressure off the wheels. Once they are assembled, glue them to the underside of the bus.

Finally, add on your tires, bumpers, grill, and flags. Your double-decker bus is complete!

This project definitely takes some patience; but, overall, is a really fun one to put together!

Putting in all the little seats takes some time, but, honestly, the hardest part for me was working with all that Dura-Lar film. Whenever I use it, I always clean it off with some water and dish soap so that I don’t have any marks showing. Inevitably, though, I need to use my fingers to get the pieces in place, and I’m always so worried about leaving greasy fingerprints on the clear film.

3D Double-Decker Bus

I use Adobe Illustrator for all of my designs, and a Cricut Maker to bring my creations to life. For tips on creating fun paper cuts like this one, see the FAQ section on my website. Also, be sure to check out the other fun freebies available on my blog!

Enjoy putting my 3D double-decker bus together. And don’t forget to share your lovely finished project with me on Instagram!

3D Double-Decker Bus 3D Double-Decker Bus

28 Comments on 3D Double-Decker Bus – Intricate Cut File

1. Marianne
    January 12, 2022 at 7:00 am (4 months ago)

love this with a few tweeks it could become night bus from Harrypotter.

January 12, 2022 at 10:05 am (4 months ago)

Ooo, that would be so fun! I might just have to make a version like that for myself.

• Mary
      January 12, 2022 at 10:12 am (4 months ago)

That was my first thought too! Add a middle floor and replace the seats with beds.

• Michele
      January 23, 2022 at 11:13 am (4 months ago)

I was going to say the same!

2. Carol Bell
    January 12, 2022 at 7:17 am (4 months ago)

I love it! I can’t believe the detail! Even the seats! Miss Mandee, you are truly talented and gifted!

January 12, 2022 at 10:05 am (4 months ago)

Aww, thank you Carol! You are too kind. 😊

3. Tori
    January 12, 2022 at 8:11 am (4 months ago)

I have a spare bedroom that is decorated with British items. This will be a great addition. I will keep an eye out for the phone booth. Thank you so much!

January 12, 2022 at 10:06 am (4 months ago)

How fun! This will definitely be a perfect addition!!

4. auntie em
    January 12, 2022 at 9:45 am (4 months ago)

Awesome! The detail is amazing. If we can’t travel IRL at least we can pretend we are on holiday! Thank you for another amazing design! 🙂

January 12, 2022 at 10:07 am (4 months ago)

My thoughts exactly!!

5. Julie
    January 12, 2022 at 12:53 pm (4 months ago)

This is insanely cute, Mandee!!! I’ve always wanted to visit the UK and hoping some day I will get the chance! Anyway, I fell off my chair when I got your email today and had to tell you that. And, I think the idea of a phone booth to go with would just be da’ bomb!!! You’re amazing!!!

January 12, 2022 at 1:17 pm (4 months ago)

You and me both Julie! Hopefully we’ll both be able to visit someday. Until then, at least we can make some fun papercrafts and dream.

6. Vidya
    January 12, 2022 at 4:28 pm (4 months ago)

Gosh. This is the sweetest file EVER!! London is my dream place, I just love it there. You nailed the look. Love it!!

January 14, 2022 at 1:32 pm (4 months ago)

That makes me so happy to hear, thank you!! 😄

7. Helen J Roberts
    January 13, 2022 at 6:13 am (4 months ago)

This is just perfect! I look for 3D designs using transportation vehicles and was thrilled to see you had made this one available to us. Thank you so much!

January 14, 2022 at 1:33 pm (4 months ago)

You are very welcome! I’ve been doing a lot of architectural designs lately and thought it would be fun to do another vehicle. 😊

8. Deb
    January 13, 2022 at 6:16 am (4 months ago)

Wow, thank you so much for sharing these wonderful files with us! The bus is absolutely amazing and I’m raising my hand on the idea of the red phone booth. Definitely would love that, too. Can’t wait to make this!

January 14, 2022 at 1:33 pm (4 months ago)

Good to know! Thanks so much for your kind words Deb!!

January 18, 2022 at 7:50 am (4 months ago)

Thank you so much for sharing your amazing creation. Your attention to detail is incredible, I nearly fell off my chair when I saw the interior with the seats! And then, you not only design these wonderful, imaginative designs, you assemble them too! Thank you again!

January 18, 2022 at 9:42 am (4 months ago)

Thank you Kathy! I appreciate your kind words. ❤️

10. Dianne
    January 22, 2022 at 5:16 am (4 months ago)

Just in time for our borders to open up with an intended trip to see family in the Uk I’m from Australia) I support people with disabilities and I took my London bus to work and one of my clients claimed it for herself. Not to worry it was fun making it so I’ll make another. Thanks Mande these are so much fun to make

January 22, 2022 at 3:20 pm (4 months ago)

Yay! So glad you’ll get to visit your family soon!!

Aww, that is awesome! It’s always so fun when a craft you make brightens someone’s day. 😊

11. Michele
    January 23, 2022 at 11:13 am (4 months ago)

Thank you, this is so cute and looks like a fun one to build!

January 24, 2022 at 10:52 am (4 months ago)

So glad you like it! It is a fun one to put together for sure. 😊

12. Pallas
    January 28, 2022 at 2:47 pm (4 months ago)

This is so great! Have you ever thought of becoming a SkillShare or Domestika instructor? I would take that class for sure.

January 30, 2022 at 1:03 pm (4 months ago)

Thank you! I have! I’ve even mapped out a course and started writing it, but just kept getting pushed to the back burner. Hopefully when my kids are all old enough to be in school I can find more time to give to making a course.

13. Susan
    February 23, 2022 at 10:00 am (3 months ago)

I can’t seem to get the template to download.😥. It says not right format

February 23, 2022 at 10:47 am (3 months ago)

Sorry you are having trouble! Make sure you unzip the file before trying to upload it to your design program. For more detailed instructions and troubleshooting tips, check out my FAQ page.