3D Encanto House – Casita Cut File

Welcome to the Family Madrigal! Today’s design is one that I knew would take a lot of work. Even so, this one took me much longer than I initially planned. But, after some re-working (and a lot of patience) I am pleased to finally share my 3D Encanto house with you!

3D Encanto House

Like this design? Consider leaving a tip to show your support.

Not only have a received a lot of requests from readers asking for a design based on the movie Encanto, but my kids have been dying for an Encanto craft as well!

I don’t know what it is with my kids, but I typically have a pretty hard time getting them interested in movies. They LOVE their favorite TV shows, but movies don’t hold their attention quite as well. This has not been the case with Encanto! My kids have watched this movie at least 10 times all the way through. And I don’t blame them—the story is charming, the characters are fun, and the music is super catchy!

So, hopefully, I can appease everyone today and pay homage to the movie that has taken over my home with a design project that has taken over my life.

3D Encanto House 3D Encanto House

Watch a short video of me putting this project together on Instagram.

Supplies

How to Make It

1. Use your cutting machine or X-ACTO knife, along with my template, to cut out all of the 3D Encanto house pieces.

Note: If you are using the SVG files that includes the score lines, don’t forget to set them as such in Cricut Design Space and attach them to their shapes before sending them through your cutting machine. I used a lime green color to mark the score lines, so hopefully that helps! If you’re having trouble with the score lines, check out this video.

Prepping All the Pieces

2. Start by prepping all your window pieces and layering on your roof sections and doors. Glue the vellum pieces to the inside and the window frames to the outside.

I also painted some stones onto the three bottom-most pieces.

Note: Looking at the finished pictures of my project as well as the Encanto movie poster for reference will really help in deciphering which pieces will go where in this complex design.

Assembling the First Layer

3. This project is made up of a backing layer, some 2D house sections, 3D house sections, and other embellishments. To start with, I cut my backing layers out of chipboard for extra rigidity. If you don’t have chipboard around, though, thick cardstock will also suffice.

Tape your backing pieces together (front and back). Then, we are going to work from top to bottom. Start attaching all your 2 house sections (basically, any section that doesn’t have any folded sides). This includes the orange top section, the 2D purple section, the 2D brown section, and the 2D green section. Use layers of foam tape to give each section a little depth.

Assembling the Second Layer

4. Next, it’s time to start assembling your 3D house sections. Begin with the two green sections. They each have a top piece that goes with them. Fold along all the score lines and attach the top piece on the backside, along the bottom of the roofline. Then, fold in any other walls/floors and finish making the “box.”

Attach them to the backing in their proper positions.

Assembling the Third Layer

5. Using the same method as in the previous step, create the rest of your 3D house section “boxes.” The 3D purple room is a little different and includes a different roof section as well as a balcony railing that wraps around the right side.

Attach the purple sections, then the orange section, then the two beige sections on the left.

With those in place, you can attach the small, unadorned middle piece, and then the three main bottom pieces that have the painted stonework. The right and left, bottom sections also include a slanted roof piece that attaches to the side. Simply fold along the score marks and attach the tabs to the backside of the slanted, overhanging part of the roof.

Note: Use the backing piece to help you align each section.

Making the Flowers

6. With the house assembled, it’s time for some adornment!

To make the flowers, cut your tissue paper in small (about 1″) squares. Use something round and rigid to wrap your tissue paper squares around, and add a dab of glue to the bottom. Then, press it onto the paper backing. Repeat this process until the backing is as full as flowers as you’d like!

Note: I’ve used the eraser end of a pencil to do this in the past, but wanted smaller flowers for this project. So, I decided to go with the blunt end of a kabob stick. A lollipop stick would have worked well too!

Finishing Up

7. The last thing on our list is some greenery! Sort your palm leaves. Three of the treetops are the same size, and one is a little larger. There are four little sections per treetop.

Make your palm trees by folding each little section in half. Then, line it up on the corresponding green backing piece, and use hot glue to attach it along the folded edge. When all four pieces are attached, you can glue it to one of the tree trunks. One won’t have a tree trunk.

Glue the three palm trees with trunks to a poster or frame. Glue the last treetop to the middle of the house, covering the hole next to the orange section. Attach the house to the poster or frame.

Your 3D Encanto house is finished!

When I started this design, I had intentions to make it “fully” 3D. Like my Disneyland castle. But, after laying the whole thing out over the course of two days, I realized that I would never finish this project in a reasonable amount of time. Also, I realized that there were going to be SO many pieces that it would be super confusing to put together.

So, I went back to the drawing board. I figured that I could at least take my front view outline and still make a 2D version, more like my Up House, but I felt like that was such a downgrade from what I had in mind, and it just made me sad. After stepping away from my computer screen for a while, I thought about what to do. Then, it hit me—”Why don’t I do both!”

That’s when I decided to combine the best of both worlds and make the design more and more 3 dimensional with each level. And, in the end, I think it’s absolutely perfect!

3D Encanto House

I use Adobe Illustrator for all of my designs, and a Cricut Maker to bring my creations to life. For tips on creating fun paper cuts like this one, see the FAQ section on my website. Also, be sure to check out the other fun freebies available on my blog!

Enjoy putting my 3D Encanto house together. And don’t forget to share your magnifico finished project with me on Instagram!

3D Encanto House

3D Encanto House

31 Comments on 3D Encanto House – Casita Cut File

1. Nuria
    March 14, 2022 at 10:43 am (2 years ago)

Wow!!!! What an awesome work!!! Wonderful! I’m starting this project today!!! I love it! I’ll tag you when finished!!! Thank you very, very, very much!!

March 16, 2022 at 10:58 am (2 years ago)

I can’t wait to see it! Have fun!! 😄

2. Dallas
    March 17, 2022 at 4:32 pm (2 years ago)

I am speechless, absolutely a stunning masterpiece. I’m going to try and make this out of fabric ! .

Thank you so much Mandee for sharing another wonderful project.

• Paola
        April 13, 2022 at 8:35 am (2 years ago)

How to do the flowers? Love this project! 😍 thank you so much!

April 13, 2022 at 10:00 am (2 years ago)

I just cut tissue paper into small (about 1″) squares. Then, I used the blunt end of a kabob stick to wrap my tissue paper squares around, and add a dab of glue to the bottom. Then, pressed it onto the paper backing. Check out this video on Instagram for a visual of the process!

• Angela
        January 7, 2023 at 6:03 am (1 year ago)

How big is this when completed?

January 10, 2023 at 11:16 am (1 year ago)

Hi Angela! It comes out to be about 13.75″ tall and 10.25″ wide once assembled. 🙂

3. Tracy L Staadt
    March 17, 2022 at 7:47 pm (2 years ago)

I am excited to make this. May i ask where the piece is that goes under the grandmothers window?

March 18, 2022 at 10:05 am (2 years ago)

If you are looking at the PDF version, then it is on page 4. If you are looking at either of the SVG versions, then it is on top of the largest green piece. 🙂

• Noelle
        September 12, 2022 at 1:12 pm (2 years ago)

Hi, love your file. I would love to try it. I am not able to find it. I have looked everywhere on here. Even as per your instructions. Please help.

• Noelle
          September 12, 2022 at 1:16 pm (2 years ago)

Sorry looking for the SVG file.

September 15, 2022 at 9:37 am (2 years ago)

Hi Noelle. Sorry you are having trouble. If you have successfully downloaded the zip file and unzipped it, but are still not seeing an SVG file, then you may be encountering a renaming issue common with Windows computers. If so, this article can help you figure out how to remedy that!

4. Tracey Joines
    March 19, 2022 at 7:42 am (2 years ago)

I’m having trouble loading the files to cricut design space , is it doable ?

March 19, 2022 at 3:04 pm (2 years ago)

Sorry you are having trouble! Make sure you are only uploading the SVG file. If you are having trouble setting up the score lines, I suggest taking a look at this video.

5. dee
    March 19, 2022 at 9:13 pm (2 years ago)

This is A.MAZ.ING! Miss Mandee. What a FUN project. I’m downloading to work on it when I’m up and about again. (healing)

March 22, 2022 at 11:26 am (2 years ago)

Thanks so much! Wishing you a speedy recovery so that you can start crafting again soon. ❤️

6. Eurileysi
    March 28, 2022 at 5:11 pm (2 years ago)

Hi, sorry for the inconvenience it may cause, but will you have that file in png or dxf? I am a Cameo user and I would love to be able to cut on it.

March 29, 2022 at 10:34 am (2 years ago)

Hi there! I only offer my cut files are SVG currently, but you should be able to use the SVG version of the file if you have the Designer Edition of Silhouette Studio.

7. Rebecca Donovan
    March 29, 2022 at 6:57 am (2 years ago)

This is amazing! I actually used part of the template when I was in the midst of making my daughter’s Encanto birthday cake to cut out Isabela’s balcony in fondant, worked a trest 🙂 . Thanks so much!

March 29, 2022 at 10:35 am (2 years ago)

That’s awesome!! I’m so glad you were able to put the design to good use. Hope the party went well!! 😊

8. Zezé Rodrigues
    April 1, 2022 at 7:38 am (2 years ago)

Que trabalho incrível, maravilho, perfeito . . . Parabéns.

April 1, 2022 at 2:33 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you so much! You are too kind.

9. Diana
    May 26, 2022 at 9:13 pm (2 years ago)

hello I have downloaded the file I have to pay for it to be able to cut it in svg and cameo.

May 26, 2022 at 9:40 pm (2 years ago)

Hi Diana! Yes, if you use a Silhouette machine you will either need the Designer Edition of their software in order to use the SVG files, or convert them to another format.

10. Alejandra Cuenca
    May 30, 2022 at 10:54 am (2 years ago)

Precioso trabajo, gracias por compartir

Saludos desde México

May 30, 2022 at 11:39 am (2 years ago)

So glad you like it!!

11. Andrew Darnel
    June 16, 2022 at 7:27 am (2 years ago)

Awesome work Mandée!
    I will do a similar design to put on top of my 5-year-old daughter’s birthday cake.
    I will likely have to plastifié it so it doesn’t get ruined by the cake icing.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Andrew

June 16, 2022 at 10:09 am (2 years ago)

That’s awesome! Have fun making it for her!!

12. vikki nagygeller
    February 20, 2023 at 11:14 am (1 year ago)

This looks amazing and I cut out all the pieces. Now I dont know where to start. I am overwhelmed. Would love a youtube video step by step. I will put it away and maybe one day I will try to assemble it. So beautiful

February 20, 2023 at 12:02 pm (1 year ago)

Sorry, I don’t have a full-length YouTube tutorial for this project at this time. Hopefully the written instructions and pictures included in the post will help! I do also have a short assembly video available on Instagram if you are having trouble.